Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Homeschooling

Yesterday in class we had a panel of homeschool students and parents speak to us about the benefit of homeschooling. Before the panel, the most exposure I had to this educational approach was that I knew several of the people in my high school choir who were homeschooled. Otherwise, I didn't know much about homeschooling going into the panel.

I thought the session was interesting overall, and I really appreciated that fact that many different viewpoints and experiences were represented in the panel. It gave me a better idea of the reasoning behind the decision to homeschool your children, and it exposed me to other factors that I hadn't considered before. While I am still struggling a bit with how exactly this topic fits into our "Decisions for U.S. Schools," it is nice to have a better grasp on the education alternatives that exist in our culture. And though I don't think I will ever consider homeschooling as an option for my own children (for many reasons), I can understand why other people might make that choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment